May 24, 2020
Lord, teach us to pray
Jesus Would Give Himself to Prayer
Psalm 109:1-5 (ESV)
1 Be not silent, O God of my praise!
2 For wicked and deceitful mouths are opened against me, speaking against me with lying tongues.
3 They encircle me with words of hate, and attack me without cause.
4 In return for my love they accuse me, but I give myself to prayer.
5 So they reward me evil for good, and hatred for my love.
The Prayer Life of Jesus
He prayed at his baptism
Luke 3:21 (ESV)
21 Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heavens were opened,
He prayed for strength and power
Luke 5:15-16 (ESV)
15 But now even more the report about him went abroad, and great crowds gathered to hear him and to be healed of their infirmities.
16 But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray.
he continued all night in prayer
Luke 6:12 (ESV)
12 In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God.
He was alone praying
Luke 9:18-20 (ESV)
18 Now it happened that as he was praying alone, the disciples were with him. And he asked them, “Who do the crowds say that I am?”
19 And they answered, “John the Baptist. But others say, Elijah, and others, that one of the prophets of old has risen.”
20 Then he said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” And Peter answered, “The Christ of God.”
He went up into a mountain to pray
Luke 9:28-29 (ESV)
28 Now about eight days after these sayings he took with him Peter and John and James and went up on the mountain to pray.
29 And as he was praying, the appearance of his face was altered, and his clothing became dazzling white.
he was now praying in a certain place
Luke 11:1-4 (ESV)
1 Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.”
2 And he said to them, “When you pray, say:
“Father, hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come.
3 Give us each day our daily bread,
4 and forgive us our sins,
for we ourselves forgive everyone
who is indebted to us.
And lead us not into temptation.”
From "Back to the Basics"
The Model Prayer
- Our Father - Relationship
- In Heaven - His majesty, power, and glory
- Hallowed be thy name - His holiness
- On earth as it is in heaven - our willingness to yield to His will
- Give us this day our daily bread - recognizing His provision
- Forgive us our debts - confession
- As we also have forgiven our debtors - active forgiveness
- Lead us not into temptation - guidance
- Deliver us from evil (or the evil one) - protection from evil
- [for Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen]
Lessons From Jesus
- Jesus prays at his baptism as he prepares to begin his public ministry
- Jesus prays in desolate places for God’s strength & power
- Jesus continued all night in prayer (leadership principles)
- Jesus was alone praying “who do men say I am?”
- Jesus went up into the mountain to pray (encouragement for the task)
- Jesus was praying in a certain place - his model of prayer
“Lord, teach us to pray”
What’s keeping you?
What keeps you from asking the Lord to teach you to pray?
- Set a time
- Set a place
- Set a direction
- Take time to worship
- Take time to listen
Acts 9:3-6 (ESV)
3 Now as he went on his way, he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven shone around him.
4 And falling to the ground he heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?”
5 And he said, “Who are you, Lord?” And he said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.
6 But rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do.”
What is the Lord telling you to do?
What is Your Dangerous Prayer?
"Lord, teach us to pray"
Praying Dangerous Prayers
What Are My Next Steps?
- I will look at the example of Jesus’ prayer life
- I will ask the Lord to teach me to pray
- I will learn to listen in my prayers
- I will pray for encouragement, wisdom, and His power
- I will learn to pray like Jesus
Dangerous Prayer - The Power of a Praying Church
Please invite someone who will benefit from it.
(the greatest contribution we make to our community is the gospel!)