June 26, 2022
Tests That Shape Us
The Pride Test
We live in a world of selfish, prideful people. Living in humility is seen as weakness. But pride keeps us from God’s plans for His people. If we are to accomplish His plan for us, pride must be dealt with.
Genesis 37:1–11 (ESV)
37 Jacob lived in the land of his father’s sojournings, in the land of Canaan.
2 These are the generations of Jacob.
Joseph, being seventeen years old, was pasturing the flock with his brothers. He was a boy with the sons of Bilhah and Zilpah, his father’s wives. And Joseph brought a bad report of them to their father. 3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than any other of his sons, because he was the son of his old age. And he made him a robe of many colors. 4 But when his brothers saw that their father loved him more than all his brothers, they hated him and could not speak peacefully to him.
5 Now Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers they hated him even more. 6 He said to them, “Hear this dream that I have dreamed: 7 Behold, we were binding sheaves in the field, and behold, my sheaf arose and stood upright. And behold, your sheaves gathered around it and bowed down to my sheaf.” 8 His brothers said to him, “Are you indeed to reign over us? Or are you indeed to rule over us?” So they hated him even more for his dreams and for his words.
9 Then he dreamed another dream and told it to his brothers and said, “Behold, I have dreamed another dream. Behold, the sun, the moon, and eleven stars were bowing down to me.” 10 But when he told it to his father and to his brothers, his father rebuked him and said to him, “What is this dream that you have dreamed? Shall I and your mother and your brothers indeed come to bow ourselves to the ground before you?” 11 And his brothers were jealous of him, but his father kept the saying in mind.
Joseph the Person
- Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph
- The 11th of Jacob’s sons
- Jacob had four wives
- He was 17
- He was a shepherd
- He brought a bad report of his brothers
- Israel "Jacob" loved him more
- The Coat of Man Colors
- His brothers saw
- Joseph's Dreams
The Pride Test
- Be aware of yourself
- Your arrogance
- Your pride
- Your selfishness
- Your calling
- What God is actually doing in your life
- Be aware of others
- Their needs
- Their future
- Their hopes
- Their fears
- Be aware of what God is doing
- He is always at work!
- It’s not about us but what He wants to do through us
A Glimpse of His Future
- God was giving Joseph a glimpse of his future
- The 1st dream foreshadowed his power over great resources
- The 2nd dream foreshadowed his power over great rulers
- Big vision does not necessarily mean immediate action or publicity
- He was hated more by his brothers – v. 8
- He was rebuked by his father – v. 10
- There’s the right place, time, and manner in which to share a God-ordained vision
- God had a plan but, what Joseph could not see, was the pruning he would have to go through to get him ready to fulfill his purpose.
Preparation for His Future
- Overcoming Pride
- Self-exalting pride - not like pride in our kids or in our work
- I’m better than you pride
- It’s the original sin - Lucifer
- Isa 14:12-14 “I will be like the Most High”
- Pride is #1 on the list of 7 deadly sins - Prov 6:16-17 “haughty eyes”
- Pride goes before destruction Prov 16:18
- God resists the proud James 4:6
- He gives grace to the humble!!!
- Living in Humility
- Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. James 4:10
- Luke 14:11 (ESV) "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Pruning & Positioning
John 15:2 (ESV)
2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
The Lord is positioning Joseph for his purpose!
We can pass the pride test through humility and patiently following Him. Remember, it’s not about us. It’s about Him and His purposes in our lives!
- I will learn to recognize and resist pride in my life.
- I will humble myself in the Lord.
- I will pursue the Lord’s will and plan for my life.
Next Week: Tests That Shape Us - The Pit Test
Please invite someone who will benefit from it.
The greatest contribution we make to our community is the gospel!