September 27, 2020
"Abound in Hope"
Romans 15:1-2 (ESV)
1 We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves.
2 Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.
Our world needs joy
Our world needs peace
Our world needs hope
We are living in a world with no joy, peace or hope. You cannot find it in the courts. You cannot find it in government. You cannot find it in the banks or the Universities.
Christ is our hope!
Romans 15:8-13 (ESV)
8 For I tell you that Christ became a servant to the circumcised to show God’s truthfulness, in order to confirm the promises given to the patriarchs,
9 and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written,
“Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles,
and sing to your name.”
10 And again it is said,
“Rejoice, O Gentiles, with his people.”
11 And again,
“Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles,
and let all the peoples extol him.”
12 And again Isaiah says,
“The root of Jesse will come,
even he who arises to rule the Gentiles;
in him will the Gentiles hope.”
13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
- The God of hope
- in a strong church everyone is filled by the God of hope. God is the "God of hope"...
- the Author of our hope.
- the Foundation of our hope.
- the Builder of our hope.
- the Finisher of our hope.
- Note that this is a prayer. The things mentioned cannot be possessed apart from God, and we can possess them only as He gives them to us.
- Fill you with all joy and peace in (through) believing
- There is joy (charas PWS: 2206): an inner gladness; a deep seated pleasure. It is a depth of assurance and confidence that ignites a cheerful heart. It is a cheerful heart that leads to cheerful behavior.
- There is peace
- Peace comes through believing
- What a privilege it is to to know Christ
- That He has made Himself known to us
- There is no peace apart from Christ!
- We will not find peace in any other path!
- Not money
- Not power
- Not leisure
- Not relationships
- Not justice
- In believing - believing that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and our redeemer
- So that by the power of the Holy Spirit
- Trinitarian God!
- The Holy Spirit
- Proclaimer - Jesus is Lord!!!
- Hope Dealer
- The great benefit of being a believer in Jesus is the power of the Holy Spirit
- Spirit led
- Spirit filled
- Spirit influenced
- Spirit sealed
- You may abound in hope
- Illustration - the mark of the beast
- In a proper eschatology, believers are raptured before the tribulation period.
- Believers in the age of grace, cannot receive the mark of the beast!
- Our “hope” is found in the person and work of Christ!
- His work
- His redemption
- His promises
- Eternal life
- The Coming Holy Spirit
- I will come again = end times
The Lord wants us to abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
So many people live:
- Without joy
- Without peace
- Without hope
- Without God
God is “the God of hope”
That hope is found in Christ!
This is supernatural - it comes from God!
Nothing in this world can mimic God’s joy, peace, and hope!
Abound In Hope
- I will be filled with joy and peace by believing in God.
- I will live empowered by the Holy Spirit.
- I will abound in hope.
Next week: Anniversary Sunday!
Please invite someone who will benefit from it.
(the greatest contribution we make to our community is the gospel!)